Let's Start Talking about Mental Health
Added at 22:56 on 10 February 2021
A small conversation about mental health has the power to make a big difference!
The 4th February, was Time To Talk Day when people were asked to talk about mental health. The campaign is promoted by See Me, Scotland's Programme to tackle mental health stigma and discrimination. https://www.seemescotland.org
The focus of Time To Talk Day for 2021 has been on the power of small, because however small a conversation you have about mental health – whether it’s a quick message to a friend or relative, an online chat over a coffee, or a socially distanced walk and talk – it has the power to make a big difference.
This year Time To Talk Day will have been a little different, but at times like this open conversations about mental health and wellbeing are more important than ever. The more conversations we have the more barriers we can break down to helping to end the isolation and stigma that too many people with mental health problems are made to feel.
For people affected by loneliness and isolation there are organisations in Highland that can help with contact and support, these include:
- Befrienders Highland currently offer their befriending services at a distance, by telephone, post or email to keep everyone safe and well supported. Tel. 01463712791 www.befriendershighland.org.uk
- Highland Hospice Helping Hands befriending service offers support calls to help with social isolation for anybody in the Inverness and Ross-shire area Tel 01463 423202 or 07874724878 www.highlandhospice.org/what-we-do/helping-hands
- Morning Call service in Inverness and surrounding area supports older people who are lonely and isolated by phone. Free call every morning. Tel 07514 494053 www.morningcall.org.uk
Other examples of local groups offering telephone befriending services are:
• Sutherland Care Forum Friends at Home, Tel. 01408 634171
• Badenoch & Strathspey Community Transport Company, Tel. 01479 810004 or 01479 812233
• Gairloch & Lochewe Action Forum (GALE), Tel.01445 712071 or 07753765 507
Anyone experiencing a crisis can contact
• Samaritans on 116 123
• Breathing Space on 0800 83 85 87
• Mikeysline 07786 207755 (textline)
• Ewen’s Room (Lochaber) 0800 6803317
Children’s Mental Health Week
This week was also Children’s Mental Health Week #childrensmentalhealthweek and there are a range of specific services and supports available for children and young people to reach out to, the importance of Time to Talk being just as important for younger people.
Supporting Young People: HighLife Highland Youth Workers are supporting young people aged 11-25 offering free, confidential support and guidance to those most impacted during Lockdown. There are youth workers in every secondary school area. Go to http://hlh.scot/youth to find out who your youth worker is and how to get in touch.
Highland Digital School Hub has Wellbeing Resources for All, for pupils, families and staff to support understanding of Covid 19 and to support families while staying at home
Mikeysline - new service for young people. Mikeysline, based in Inverness, have started a new service is aimed at all young people, but primarily those of secondary school age. Running after school each weekday (4pm – 5.40 pm) and on Saturday (2pm – 5.30pm), the service offers non-
judgemental and confidential support to young people affected by emotional distress or in need of mental health support.
The service includes 1:1 appointments in a safe place for young people to talk, feel heard, offered support, or signposted as may be helpful. Other support such as group-based sessions are also being planned. At present, the service is available online using Google Meet. The aim is to offer both
remote and face-to-face options when it is possible, so that young people living outside Inverness can access the support.
Out with the appointment times, young people can use the existing text-based support service, text 07786 207755.
For information or to book an appointment please e-mail email@example.com. An online booking system is planned.